Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Sabrina's Sail Loft - Sewing Muscles



Oct 2018

The headsail stitching has come loose again on the sacrificial.  Simple repair but then my Sailrite starts acting up.  I check all the usual things I am supposed to check.  They are ok.  I ask the Sailrite Facebook group.  I am very detailed in letting them know what I have already checked and tried.  Many go ahead and suggest those same things despite my detailed post.  Sigh!  I contact Sailright directly via email.  I explain in detail and mention that I don’t have the bandwidth for videos.  They reply back, suggesting I look at the video links below.  Sigh.  I email back “While I really do like your videos and find them helpful under normal circumstance, I DO NOT have the bandwidth now or in near future to watch, can you email me instructions?"  They reply back with links to videos.  UGH!  I email back again, this time I am not as ….nice.  They send printed instructions on advanced troubleshooting.  It turns out the paddle behind by tension mechanism is slightly bent.  Tom fashions a longer one, therefore adjusting for the slight bend and I am back in business.
While sewing up at the pool area is nice in terms of having the room to work, it is also a pain because I have to haul everything up there…..Sailrites are HEAVY.  Plus sewing in public then opens you up for all the questions and comments….”Oh, what are you working on?  Will you repair my sail, bimini, dodger, etc…. I have a tiny repair, please?”  So I opted to sew below on sv Honey Ryder.  With the table down, I actually have quite a bit of space.  Or I thought so until I had to restitch the headsail.  Oh mon.  That sucker is big. 

This brings us to the subject of sewing muscles.  Sewing sails and other big objects, I find I use my whole body, activating sewing muscles I have not used in a while.  For the head sail, I have my left arm up at shoulder height at ninety degree angle, letting the sail rest on it and thus lining it up even and flat to be pulled into the machine.  Try that for a whole morning or afternoon – whoa.  There are other stretches and contortions.  Sewing pilates is real! 

I also sewed a BBQ grill cover for the new griddle and did a few other repairs.  A new outboard cover is coming soon as well.  

1 comment:

  1. What a good workout! But I can only imagine the sweat!

    ReplyDelete